Setting Up A New Sports Club
LSBSU has many student Sports Clubs, however, if you can’t find one you like you can easily start your own. To ensure that your new club gets approved please read the following criteria:
- Your core activities must not overlap with an existing LSBSU Sports Club.
- Your club must be open and accessible to all students of London South Bank University.
- The default minimum membership number is10, however, this may increase with the needs of your sport. For example, Football requires 11 players plus 3 substitutes for a full team so the minimum membership number is 14. When applying you will need to show that you have this many students who might be interested in joining your new club.
- Your club activities must not conflict with the constitution of LSBSU, its' values, bylaws or Articles of Association. Furthermore, it must not conflict with any values, rules or regulations of LSBU.
- New clubs do not receive SU sponsorship within their first year and so you need to make sure that you have an adequate funding plan for your activities, be that through membership fees, external sponsorship or other means. After the first year, when you have shown that the club is functional, you can apply for sponsorship from the SU to further your activities. All new clubs must be practical for LSBSU to support the club and its' activities.
Does your club meet the criteria? If so, apply by opening the New Club Application Form, save a copy with the name of your club, then send it to email@example.com. Once we've checked that you fit with the above criteria, we'll contact you to discuss the next steps.
Your written application will need to demonstrate and contribute to the aims of LSBU and LSBSU. Acceptable aims include:
- Bringing students together in sociable activities that add value to the LSBU community.
- Increasing the opportunities and recognition for skill development at LSBU.
- Making LSBU Sport more visible so that students can benefit from what is on offer.
Applications are accepted at any point throughout the year and will be discussed by the Sports Forum at their next monthly meeting, which you will be invited to in order to present your club.
Development Fund: How Do I Apply?
The Development Fund is available exclusively to new Sports Clubs. New clubs can apply for a grant to help trial their activities and to help establish themselves in the LSBU community. If your application is successful, you can use the grant for new equipment, facility hire or any other costs incurred in putting on your activity. Specific financial amounts will be assessed on a case-by-case basis, with a maximum allowance of £500.