What is a Course Rep?
A Course Representative (Course Rep for short) is a member of the LSBU Academic Representation Network. Their aim is to make sure the student voice is heard and considered in the decision making processes of the University. Course Reps are here to represent your views and take them forward with the support of the Students' Union to make sure there exists a vital feedback loop within each university course.
What can Course Reps do for students?
The primary role of Course Reps is to collect and communicate the academic related views of their coursemates to the Students' Union and University, so that students have the best experience possible. Through Course Reps and the VP Education every student can have their views raised at the most senior levels of the University.
Course Reps are responsible for
Representing the views of their coursemates
Ensuring that feedback from their coursemates is taken to the appropriate meetings
Representing their peers on various University committees
Address student issues by pointing them to the correct departments
Benefits to becoming a Course Rep
- Be the difference: you will be the vital link that joins the University, The Union and students, being actively involved in decision-making.
- Be employable: having extra-curricular achievements on your CV is very attractive to prospective employers. You'll gain strong communication skills, and display committment, organisation and responsibility.
- Be skillful: you'll develop transferable skills, including teamwork, problem solving, negotiation and diplomacy.
- Be accredited: by the end of the year, you'll have attended meetings, handled a number of issues, completed some paperwork and made a big difference. In return for your hard work, we'll present you with an official Certificate of Achievement at the end of year ceremony.
- Be connected: you will be known by the students and lecturers on your course, and you'll have the opportunity to reach out to students in other year groups, giving you a head start for your progression to next year.
Becoming a Course Rep
Course Reps are elected at the beginning of each academic year. Anyone can nominate themselves to represent the students on their course. If there are any problems with your course's Course Rep Election or to find out more information contact VP Education, Sodiq Akinbade.